BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude by file size

2015-05-11 15:55:31
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude by file size
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 21:51:17 +0200
Hi,

Marios Zindilis wrote on 2015-05-11 19:02:36 +0300 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Exclude by file size]:
> You can -most probably- do that with the --max-size option of rsync,

I would tend to agree. "Most probably" means that the BackupPC side of the
transfer uses the Perl module File::RsyncP rather than native rsync, and this
module doesn't implement all valid rsync options. From what the man page says,
the --max-size option would actually need to be implemented by File::RsyncP
(rather than the remote native rsync), so you'd need to test and see if it is.

Of course, if that doesn't work, you always have the option of excluding the
files you are having problems with by name (BackupFilesExclude). I realize
that this doesn't automatically adapt to new large files appearing, which will
cause the same problem all over again, but it would be a way to get your
backup running again. The question to think about is: do you really want
backups of these files, or don't you? A size limit is not an answer to this
question, it's a workaround for an unsuited network link.

This seems to be another instance of a common problem: how do I handle backup
volume that [initially] won't complete over the limited bandwidth of the
network link? The part you'd need to solve yourself in any case would be to
get copies of the files in question to somewhere on your BackupPC server -
assuming you want them in your backup. Most likely solutions would be
sneakernet or some manual invocations of 'rsync -z ...'.
I'll try to find some time to work on integrating those copies into an
existing backup, so the next backup could use them as reference and avoid the
network transfer or limit it to the changes in the files.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger