BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PCs behind an ADSL router

2015-03-19 19:41:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup PCs behind an ADSL router
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 10:39:50 +1100
On 20/03/15 06:51, Antonio Sanguigni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have to backup 5 pc behind an ADSL router. This is my first time so
> I prefer to ask for advices.
>
> When I have to backup 1 pc I open and forward port 873 on the ADSL
> Router for the pc to backup. How can accomplish that with 5 pc ?
>
> I think to create 5 host which point to the same ip address thanks to
> ClientNameAlias property and with different host names, of cours, in
> backuppc and change the port accordingly. I believe it is necessary to
> open 5 ports on the ADSL router. Is this the only solution ?

That is certainly one method. I would prefer one of the following options:
1) Configure SSH server on one of the machines (server), then use ssh
tunneling+ rsync to connect to each client (only single exposed port,
all traffic is encrypted, downside is overhead on the one machine
picked. Some potential benefits from ssh compression.

2) Use a VPN, then just talk directly to the clients like they were on
the LAN

If you do expose rsyncd directly to the Internet, then I would suggest
that you restrict the source IP addresses if possible.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au