BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Parallelizing operations on the host to backup

2015-03-09 03:30:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Parallelizing operations on the host to backup
From: Andrea Carpani <andrea.carpani AT dnshosting DOT it>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 08:28:07 +0100
Hello,

is there an easy way to parallelize the rsync operations on the host to
beckup?

Here's my problem: the host I need to back up has a /home of about 300Gb
full of really small files (10 millions maybe). Each scan of the file
system takes a really long time. The storage I use for it, though, is
quite fast and has a lot of disks, thus parallelizing the operations
(say, 1 rsync for each user under /home/* and 10 parallel threads) would
ideally shorten the scan time by a factor of 10 given a powerful enough
backup server.

I know I could create several backuppc "hosts" all pointing to the same
hostname, and one backs up a subset of users, but maybe there's some
other parameter I could use.

.a.c.
Andrea Carpani
andrea.carpani AT dnshosting DOT it