BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] So I have NO idea what is wrong

2015-03-06 14:47:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] So I have NO idea what is wrong
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 13:46:27 -0600
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 1:32 PM, xpac <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:
> Running BackupPC in a Linux environment with four clients, no issues.
>
> Yesterday I built a new machine that will be used as a test box separate from
> our production network.  I tried to restore some files to it from a backup
> from one of the other hosts, and all I continually get is "no ping response"
> messages in the BackupPC web console and log   :x  :x
>
> This test machine is on a different subnet separated by a firewall, but there
> is no problem pinging in between machines, ssh between machines, etc etc as
> the firewall policies/trusts are already set up.  Also, one of the current
> clients that is fine is also on its own subnet/DMZ so I know it isn't a
> firewall issue.
>
> I created the correct hosts entry on the server and client, and also added
> the backuppc ssh key to the client's root authorize_keys list.  I even went
> further and completely disabled iptables and set selinux to permissive on the
> client.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is nothing different between this new host and
> the previous ones, but I can't get anything but these no ping response
> errors, which considering the fact that the machines can in fact ping each
> other tells me absolutely nothing.
>
> Anybody ever see this before?

My first guess is that you are using a host name that isn't resolving
in DNS.  You could fix this with an IP address in ClienNameAlias.
But if that isn't the case, what is the PingCmd in the host
configuration and what happens if you execute approximately the same
thing from the command line.