BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule full backup into weekends

2015-03-06 08:46:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Schedule full backup into weekends
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 07:43:58 -0600
On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:41 AM, Antonio Sanguigni <a.sanguigni AT gmail DOT
com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> is it possible (and advisable) to have just one full backup and all
> the rest as incr backup ? My problem is that the data volume is big
> and backup over Internet is not easy.

No, you need periodic fulls.  If you are using rsync only the changes
are transferred anyway but it uses the previous full run as the
comparison so the size of the differences will grow until you do
another full.

> Further, I would like to plan eventually full backup just on weekend
> and incremental during the rest of week days. How can I accomplish it
> ?

Yes, that is reasonable and easy to do with the default weekly full
settings.   Just start a full backup manually as you are leaving work
on Friday. and the next full won't start until the blackout period
ends a week later - and the approximate-weekly timing should keep that
schedule as long as your system is up every day.