BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Wake-on-LAN setup - no ping response

2015-03-06 01:10:02
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Wake-on-LAN setup - no ping response
From: Russ Russ <russ_kz AT mail DOT ru>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 09:07:30 +0300

Dear all,

Any ideas/assistance will be highly appreciated.

I have backuppc server on Gentoo which works fine with regular client backups. Now I am configuring wake-on-lan to wake windows clients up before backup.

The following has been done:

1.       Bash script has been a bit modified from the one suggested on this forum (details of the current script are provided at the end of the message).

2.       Config.pl has been modified on server as the following:

$Conf{PingPath} = '/usr/local/bin/wolping.sh';

$Conf{NmbLookupFindHostCmd}  = ' ';

3.       Appropriate 777 rights have been granted to wolping.sh. This is output of ls –l:

-rwxrwxrwx 1 backuppc backuppc 1246 12:00 wolping.sh

4.       I have tested wolping.sh and it works great from terminal under backuppc user

But when I fire manual backup on any client which is in standby mode, I got the following message: “2015-03-06 11:29:14 no ping response”

Seems that backuppc does not even fire the script as “logger”   does not appear in tail -f /var/log/messages

Could you please advise what might cause such an issue

Many thanks

wolping.sh:

#!/bin/bash

#this script is totally designed for the backuppc ping command

#which is the first thing it does before it starts a backup

#this is a substitute which pings the machine, if it is not

#awake then it wakes it using a magic packet - using the wol.bsh script

#then pings again to make sure

PING=/bin/ping

ARG1=$1

ARG2=$2

ARG3=$3

ARG4=$4

WAKEHOST=$5

ETHWAKE="/sbin/ether-wake -i enp3s0"

SLEEPTIME=3m

logger "Backuppc pinging  $1 $2 $3 $4 $5"

function fwol {

        TO_WAKEUP=$1

        sudo $ETHWAKE $1

        if [ $? -eq 0 ]

        then

           WOL_RES="OK"

        else

           WOL_RES="FAIL"

        fi

}

$PING $ARG1 $ARG2 $ARG3 $ARG4 $WAKEHOST >>/dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then

        fwol $WAKEHOST

        if [ "$WOL_RES" = "FAIL" ]; then

                exit 1