BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Usage of BackupPC in large environment

2015-03-02 14:44:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Usage of BackupPC in large environment
From: Russell Poyner <russell.poyner AT wisc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 13:42:34 -0600
Andrea,

I'm running backup pc on 50+ machines, mostly windows desktops with a
few linux servers.

There are 56 hosts that have been backed up, for a total of:

432 full backups of total size 125002.37GB (prior to pooling and
compression),
302 incr backups of total size 3794.89GB (prior to pooling and compression).

The server is PC-BSD 10 with the backuppc data in a ZFS storage pool. I
don't have problems with load spikes when backuppc is running, but I
limit it to 8 concurrent jobs on 8 server cores.

The only problem I have is that running rsync on windows is a bit of a
pain. Lots of discussion of that on this list.

Settings for zfs if you go that route:
Do NOT use zfs dedupe
turn compression off in backuppc
set compression to lz4 in zfs for your backup pool

RP