BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Does rsync keep user_xattr on ext4?

2015-03-01 05:32:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Does rsync keep user_xattr on ext4?
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 11:30:35 +0100
Hi list!

 > Does it restore all attributes in case? Or is there any additional stept
 > to be aware of?

BackupPC does not handle ACL's, SElinux, etc.  Those must be
separately backed up...
I did some research on this topic and stumbled at this page: http://www.lesbonscomptes.com/pages/extattrs.html

rsync 3.0.9 supports xattributes but I assume neither BackupPC nor the perl rsync used by BackupPC supports them, correct?
So we have to backup (and restore) these attributs seperately. With Linux we have the getfattr and setfattr commands.

So I created a short dump script which dumps the xattributes in a seperate file which can be backed up by BackupPC with the DumpPreShareCmd  setting.

For restore create a symlink to the file and it will restore the xattr properly if configuread as "RestorePostUserCmd". Be aware it can only restore the full file system, no entire files!

Just as a base for own solutions:
cat dump_xattr.sh
#!/bin/bash
if [ "$1" == "" ] ; then exit 255; fi

pushd $1
getfattr --dump -R *> user_xattr.dump
#to restore use setfattr --restore user_xattr.dump