BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving older backups

2014-12-03 11:17:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving older backups
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 10:15:17 -0600
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Brad Alexander <storm16 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I have a number of backups that are on my backuppc machine, and now that I
> have a NAS in place, I figured I would archive off the oldest backups, since
> the /var/lib/backuppc partition filled up on the backup machine.
>
> Is there a way to archive a specific backup so that I can back up some of
> the older fulls? I looked in the docs, and found that there is no way to
> specify a specific backup, even from the command line.
>
> Any suggestions?

Note that deleting old backups is only going to release the space of
files that were different or deleted.   You can use BackupPC_tarCreate
to make a tar image for archive storage, specifying the host and
backup number:
http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html#Command-line-restore-options

Or simply select it in the web interface and download a tar copy
through the browser, saving it on your mapped NAS - although at least
some versions of IE may download to a temp location first instead of
where you tell it to save the file and some versions of things may
have size limitations.