BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync out of memory

2014-11-20 15:30:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync out of memory
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:29:53 -0600
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 2:07 PM, Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
wrote:
> > Got remote protocol 30
> Negotiated protocol version 28
> Remote[2]: [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
> Remote[2]: [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did
> move
> Xfer PIDs are now 9933,9934
> xferPids 9933,9934
>   create d 555       0/0        4096 .
>>Out of memory!
> Parent read EOF from child: fatal error!

> I started rsync manually with the same options as above and I monitored
> the memory consumption on the sender. This time it succeeded:
> total: matches=26625  hash_hits=2561895  false_alarms=35 data=5775632621

Native rsync 3.x versions can use protocol 30 which can handle the
directory tree incrementally.   Backuppc's version uses protocol 28
(and forces the remote to use that also) which must xfer the entire
tree first and hold it in RAM at both ends while they walk it doing
the comparisions.

> sent 2144313 bytes  received 3721731504 bytes  5878257.01 bytes/sec
> total size is 5845056098  speedup is 1.57
> [root@backup srv]#
>

> rsync uses around 112M, which should not be too much. Especially as the
> host hast still approx 1G of free memory.  "top" is saying:
>  3620 root      20   0  112m 8036  952 R 69.5  0.2   3:17.46 rsync

I'm not actually sure from your error message which end was out of
memory.  How do things look on the target system while the backuppc
backup runs?

> As you can see, I already added the --no-inc-recursive (reduce memory
> usage) and the -x (do not cross file systems) option to the rsync
> command.  Still no go. Rsync continues telling me about out of memory.
> I can't believe there should be too much files in it as I store all
> other data except the OS itself on different partitions.
> /dev/mapper/vg1_pdc-root                      12G  5.5G  5.5G  50% /
>

> Any other ideas how I can backup this server? I'm still wondering as
> this server is not a very uncommon setup- just default OS.
>
> Anyone having a clue?

Memory use should relate to the number of files more than the total
size.  Do any directories have a huge number of tiny files?