BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] lastlog

2014-10-24 15:53:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] lastlog
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 14:52:30 -0500
On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Moorcroft, Mark (ARC-TS)[ERC, Inc.]
<mark.moorcroft AT nasa DOT gov> wrote:

> All of my systems are 64 bit CentOS, and all have /var/log/lastlog.

Mine 'have' /var/log/lastlog.  Just not the problem with TB+ apparent
sizes. Do you have a uid of -1  - or very, very large uids?

> With
> various pressure from both the private sector and government demanding
> some kind of log archiving, I thought some kind of FAQ or note could save
> countless man hours for people trying to use BackupPC.

Yes, it would be good FAQ material, but not entirely unique to
backuppc.  There aren't many good ways to copy huge sparse files.

> I had to go all the way back to 2007
> to find discussion about lastlog.

Maybe that was when everyone else took the -1 uid out...

> As far as database
> files, for some reason those have not killed rsync the way lastlog seems
> to.

They generally aren't sparse with an apparent size in the TB's.  But
if the DB is running concurrently with the backup, a restore won't be
consistent.

>. I have not decided on
> the best way to handle mysql with BackupPC yet.

The straightforward approach is to have script on the host that runs
the mysqldump command so you can use a DumpPreUserCmd like:

$sshPath -q -x -l root $host /path/to/script.
and then back up the dump output instead of the live database.  Or if
downtime is OK you can stop the database, then copy its files.