BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup over slow link: endless loop or just missing patience?

2014-09-29 14:49:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup over slow link: endless loop or just missing patience?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:48:15 -0500
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Dr. Boris Neubert <omega AT online DOT de>
wrote:

> What bothers me are the fatal errors (signal= ALRM) in combination with the
> last lines of the "Last bad XferLOG" (right after the list of transferred
> files):
>
> Child is aborting
> Done: 27503 files, 16082763640 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (aborted by signal=ALRM)
> Backup aborted by user signal
> Not saving this as a partial backup since it has fewer files than the prior
> one (got 27503 and 27503 files versus 27628)
>

> Does this mean that I am actually stuck in an endless loop because there is
> a certain point in time or amount of data beyond which the backup does not
> go?
>
> What are the reasons for the aborts or where do I need to look? They are not
> related to regular or irregular disconnects and IP reassignments. That I
> know from the DSL connection logs.

ALRM means you hit $Conf{ClientTimeout}.   I think there is a
long-standing bug in that it is supposed to be a 'no activity' timeout
but in some cases with rsync it seems to not reset and ends up as a
max for the whole run.  Try bumping that up to see if it helps.
However, there are circumstances where a NAT router or stateful
firewall will have a shorter timeout and stop passing data, so you can
end up hanging for a long time before finally timing out.