BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] file sizes on windows

2014-09-19 08:25:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] file sizes on windows
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:22:12 -0500
On 2014-09-18 19:53, Lord Sporkton wrote:
> Regarding the limitations page at
> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/limitations.html [1]
> It indicates that smbclient is limited to 4gig, what happens over
> that?
> I noticed a few servers with much larger files and Im curious about
> what exactly happens because they dont seem to be throwing any errors.
> However that limit also happens to be due to smbclient, not backuppc
> so if they fixed that in smbclient it should be resolved overall
> right?
>
> THanks
> Lawrence

In my limited testing (some time ago) it was the case that the file
simply "looped" -- so for a 6 gig file, all 6 gigs would be transferred
into the same 4 gig file, but the last 2 gigs would overwrite the first
two gigs, making the file largely useless.  No error or warning is
given.

Between 2 and 4 gigs, the file size will either be artibrary, or
correct.

I did not test with a libsmbclient that can handle larger files, so I
can't answer your other question, but I suspect the answer is more
complicated than simply adjusting libsmbclient.