BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] daemon not starting on Ubuntu start-up

2014-02-21 05:58:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] daemon not starting on Ubuntu start-up
From: Adam Hardy <adam.hardy AT cyberspaceroad DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 10:56:28 +0000
Thanks for the responses everyone.

The problem has gone away - temporarily or permanently I'm not sure, but I'm hacked off with rebooting so I'm going to leave it until I've sorted some other issues first.

However just one thing re sysvinit vs upstart - I thought that upstart used scripts in /etc/default where there's nothing for backuppc.

Also in the dpkg postinst script I discovered this snippet with a comment that makes it look deliberate - but obviously not under my circumstances:

    # Remove shutdown and reboot links; this init script does not need them.
    if dpkg --compare-versions "$2" lt "2.1.2-5ubuntu3"; then
        rm -f /etc/rc0.d/K20backuppc /etc/rc6.d/K20backuppc
    fi

No further mention and none whatsoever of upstart, so it looks like they're not using upstart, it seems.