BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Solving rsync hangs: Update rsync to 3.1.0

2013-12-06 21:19:00
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Solving rsync hangs: Update rsync to 3.1.0
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 18:03:39 -0800
I've been having a mysterious problem trying to get a backup of one machine
to complete. I looked around to see if others had a solution and found this:

<http://victorwyee.com/cmd/solving-rsync-hangs-in-cygwin-via-script-or-recompiling/>

I'd been using the 3.0.9 Cygwin rsync from the BackupPC alpha announcement
without improvement. I replaced the rsync.exe file with the one I found on
this web page and now my backups are completing successfully! This is the
new 3.1.0 rsync which isn't yet available on the Cygwin page, but claims to
have some fixes for PC hang issues.

I'm using the 32 bit "no socketpairs" binary, linked about halfway down the
web page. Just install the 3.0.9 package from Sourceforge, then drop this
.exe over it and restart the service. I did find I needed to comment out my
uid=0 and gid=0 lines from rsync.conf to use 3.1.0.