BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: rsyncd as a service on Windows 8

2013-10-26 17:40:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: rsyncd as a service on Windows 8
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:32:31 -0400
Dan Johansson <Dan.Johansson AT dmj DOT nu> wrote on 10/26/2013 08:37:48 AM:

> Any suggestions on
> a)   how to find out why rsyncd dies in the first place

Not really:  I have never run rsync on Windows 8.  I *have* done it on Windows Server 2012 (based on Win8) with zero crashes across 3-4 servers on that OS and maybe 3 months of time.  So it may not be a Windows 8 problem exactly, it may be just *your* Windows 8.

Have you checked the Event Viewer?  It usually shows you what's going on with rsync...

> b)   how to fix this

If we don't know why it dies how can we fix it?

> c)   if this is "unfixable" how can I make rsyncd restart even if there
> are a .pid and .lock file around

You can't, to my knowledge.  I have wrapped launching rsync in a CMD to delete stale files before launching the daemon.  (I hope I'm wrong:  it would be nice not to need it!)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com