BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] BackupPC 4.0.0alpha0 released

2013-06-24 00:11:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] [BackupPC-devel] BackupPC 4.0.0alpha0 released
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Developers discussion <backuppc-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 21:08:30 -0700
Would appending the file size to the md5 (either literally or
notionally) further decrease the astronomically small chance of a
non-purposely constructed collision?

I don't think so.  Also, it would also cause the digests to be different from the full-file digests in rsync 3.X.  (In BackupPC 3.x, adding the size helped because only a subset of the file contents were used for files larger than 256K.  However, I regret adding the file size at the start of the digest calculation, not the end!)

Also, you note a number of features that should significantly speed up
backups (including rsync 30, c-code, --checksum flag, etc.). Have you
done any benchmarking relative to v3.x?

It depends.  For slow clients, and initial backups (which involves a lot of compression cpu time), there isn't much difference.  On faster clients I have seen significant speed ups.  Other than initial compression, I suspect the server load is significantly lower that 3.X, but I haven't made measurements.

One place where 4.x is slower is that it doesn't implement block checksum caching.  So if you go back to --ignore-times fulls, there is a lot more work to do on the server compared to 3.X.  That case offsets some or all of the other performance gains.  I haven't decided whether it is worth implementing block checksum caching because --checksum is quite convenient.

Here are two examples using --checksum fulls:

 - A fast client (MacbookPro with a flash drive): a full is about 3x faster, an incremental is about 4x faster.  An initial backup with an empty pool is no faster.  An initial backup with a populated pool is maybe 30% faster (since --checksum allows any pool file to be matched), with a big saving in network traffic.  The reported BackupPC speed is >100MB/sec for the full (but obviously not much data is being transferred because of --checksum).

 - Backing up part of my BackupPC server to the same server (an old Xeon with 3ware RAID): a full is about 30% faster, an incremental is about 3x faster (another backup was running during these tests).

Craig