BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude directories

2013-06-07 16:39:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude directories
From: Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 15:38:06 -0500
Sorry I didn't mention the xfer method. All servers use rsync over ssh. I plan to try the above this weekend with the full runs.

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

Michael Stowe wrote on 2013-05-31 08:21:03 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclude directories]:
> > On each of our samba servers inside of each share is a .deleted folder
> > that
> > all of the files that a user deletes from the share within windows goes to
> > instead of actually being deleted immediately. I do not want to back these
> > up but they are not all in the same path on all the servers. What is the
> > correct syntax to exclude these from the backups? Should */.deleted work?
> > Or will I need to explicitly declare all the paths?
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>   '*' => [
>     '*/.deleted'
>     '*/.deleted/*'
>   ]
> };

strictly, this depends on the XferMethod (which the OP did not mention), but
the above looks as though it should mostly work. For rsync(d), the '*/' in the
patterns is meaningless except for preventing '.deleted' at the top level
within the share to match. Probably the same holds for tar, but I didn't
check. As for smb, there always seems to be confusion whether in-/excludes
need to contain slashes or backslashes. My memory seems to say "backslashes",
but I haven't ever used smb XferMethod myself.

In any case, it should be possible to use wildcards and *not* list all paths.
Again, the syntax of in-/excludes depends on the XferMethod used.

Regards,
Holger

http://p.sf.net/sfu/servicenow-d2d-j