BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] how to stop complete backup to backup next day

2013-06-03 12:06:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] how to stop complete backup to backup next day
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 11:04:40 -0500
On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 9:35 AM, zoku <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
wrote:
> good afternoon everyone.
> I'm stuck with a problem.
> I have to backup a big amount of datas but it takes too long. The people for
> who i'm doing it don't want to do incremential backups and want to stay with
> full ones.

Do they understand that backuppc will make the full and incremental
runs look the same?  That is, they are auto-filled during browsing and
restores. And that if you use rsync, even the incremental runs will be
complete and accurate?

> The things that I'm asked to do are to :
> - limit which periods the backup is done : i thought about blackout periods,
> but once thr backup starts it still continues after the blackout begun or
> become an incremential abckup
> - begin a fullbackup and stop it at due time. Begin the backup agin the day
> after without backing up the files that I've backup up the day before IF they
> weren't modified.
>
> Is there a way to do such a thing?

No.  An interrupted full backup will be saved as a 'partial'.  If you
are using rsync/rsyncd, the files already copied will be compared and
not copied again on the next attempt - but unless network bandwidth is
the limiting factor it may not save time.   Other methods will start
over on every attempt and will only save as a new partial if more
files are copied than the previous run.

Some things to consider:
Try rsync or rsyncd if you aren't already using one of them.  If
network bandwidth is the problem they will be much more efficient
after the first full completes.  On the other hand if you have a huge
number of files to back up, the way rsync handles directories may be
worse - so if you are using rsync and have a fast network, try
switching to something else.

If the weekend is open, start the run on Friday evening and maybe it
will complete by Monday.

> I also thought about backing up folders on different days but I don't
> particulary like the idea :/

This may be your only option if you don't have enough time for a full
to complete.  To do it, you have to create what look like different
host entries with $ClientNameAlias pointing back to the same real name
or IP.  Then you can set up different directories to back up and put
them on a different schedule.