BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming

2013-04-26 17:26:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] mysql streaming
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 17:20:13 -0400
<backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 04/26/2013 05:04:07 PM:

> If you are indeed talking about files in the 50-200GB range, you are
> not going to fit more than a handful of files per TB disk... even if
> you have a RAID array of multiple disks, you are still probably
> talking about only a small number of files. So, you are probably
> better off writing a simple script that just back up those few DB
> files and rotates them if you want to retain several older copies.

Which is something *else* I do (for, say, NTBACUP or Windows Server Backup), again by using that NFS or Samba share on my BackupPC server!  :)  Basically, I often use my BackupPC systems as a combination NAS/Backup server.  Again, works very well.

If you're dealing with a bunch of SCSI (Really?  Not SAS?) servers, I assume you have *some* budget.  I just spent less than $6,000 for a server with 12 3TB SATA hot swap hard drives (rated for 24/7 operation, not desktop drives), 2 x Intel Xeon E5 2.4GHz quad-core processors, 16GB RAM, an LSI RAID controller and 4 x GbE and 2 x 10GbE.  Configured for RAID-6 with hot-spare, I still got >24TB of space.  That puppy moves >800MB/s to the drives...  All for $6k.  If I had cut some corners on RAM and CPU (and skipped the extra GbE ports) it would have been a little over under $4k.

That's enough space for more than 100 copies of a 200GB database....  And you could still use BackupPC for keeping older copies around over time, even if you don't get much help with pooling...

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com