BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backups, rsync and the exchange mailbox store

2013-04-23 20:01:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental backups, rsync and the exchange mailbox store
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, John Habermann <jhabermann AT cook.qld.gov DOT au>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 09:59:23 +1000
John Habermann <jhabermann AT cook.qld.gov DOT au> wrote:

>Hi Adam
>
>On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 01:18:07 +1000
>Adam Goryachev <mailinglists AT websitemanagers.com DOT au> wrote:
>
>> On 22/04/13 06:46, John Habermann wrote:
>> > Hi
>> > I have an exchange 2003 server which I have set up in backuppc
>using
>> > Michael's backuppc rsync based client scripts
>> > http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/ and it appears to be working
>> > fine with the exception that the mail store .edb and .stm files are
>> > only being backed up when a Full Backup Job runs.
>> >
>> > I am assuming this is because the date modified file size of these
>> > files is not changing as I have about 15 GB or so of space
>> > available in in the priv1 mailbox store so its size is not
>> > increasing with current day to day usage. I have checksum caching
>> > enabled so was wondering if disabling that would result in changes
>> > in these files getting detected.
>> > Does anyone know if it is possible to get rsync to backup these
>sort
>> > files in an incremental backup or do I need to set this server to
>> > have a full backup run every time (or create a specific backuppc
>> > client alias just for the exchange store that runs full backups
>> > only)?
>> Add --checksum to your RsyncArgs which tells rsync to compare using
>> the checksum instead of modification time and file size.
>
>I have --checksum-seed=32761 add to my list of rsync arguments:
>Sending args: --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
>-D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
>--checksum-seed=32761 . . Checksum caching enabled (checksumSeed =
>32761)
>
>Do you need to set the --checksum option as well as --checksum-seed ?

Yes, they do different things.

Possibly the better alternative was the other suggestion, just set a scheduled
task to touch the file every hour. However, if the scheduled task fails to run,
then you have no backup and no warning. If you use the checksum option and
confirm it works, you are sure to get the backups, but are just wasting
CPU/disk IO during each backup.

You need to work out which is more important, IMHO, mainly whether the backup
window is large enough to avoid needing any shortcuts.

Regards,
Adam

--
Adam Goryachev