BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What to backup to backup a backuppc server ?

2013-04-09 11:12:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What to backup to backup a backuppc server ?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 10:11:09 -0500
On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Nicolas Cauchie
<nicolas AT franceoxygene DOT fr> wrote:

> I found this feature "$Conf{XferMethod} = 'archive';" wich I ignore
> existence...
>
> I had some questions about this command :
> - I'll use this command to create tar archives, and then, those tar
> (*.tar.bz2 in my case) will be on a samba share (suecured...) to be send to
> my tape by my Windows Client (I know... ;) I've had a licence for this
> product, I prefer to use it...)

The 'archive host' concept exists mostly to provide a web interface to
generating the tar archives.  If you are going to automate it with
cron or use the command line you are probably better off using the
BackupPC_tarCreate command line tool in your own script where you can
use whatever options you want.

> - You said backupPC uses key encryption :
>     - I created an archive of one of my hosts. I extracted it on the backup
> server using "tar jxf archive.tar.bz2" : it extracted me the content of this
> archive without problem, without question. Same thing on another Linux
> server... Thoses keys aren't supposed to be a security to don't permit this ?
>     - When those keys are supposed to block any extract attempt ?
>     - So, I really don't understand :

I think he said he sent it through gpg encryption, not that backuppc
did it automatically.   But, it is probably easier to use openssl in a
pipeline.  So you could use:
BackupPC_tarCreate  ..options...  |gzip |openssl aes-256-cbc -salt -k
password  >/path/to/file

> - About the command by itself : I saw it backups the last backup of my host
> (an incremental backup). But : archiving an incremental backup will able me
> to restore ALL data of a host ?

BackupPC_tarCreate will 'fill' the out with data from the previous
full, so the tar runs will be complete.