BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Thank you BackupPC!!!

2013-03-25 05:52:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Thank you BackupPC!!!
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:51:16 +0000
On 2013-03-25 02:53, Holger Parplies wrote:
> actually, don't. StrictHostKeyChecking is on by default for a good reason.
> Without it, you're vulnerable to MITM attacks,

Which in the case of SSH key authentication, means only that the data
crossing the SSH tunnel could be read. While that's bad, especially if
backing up /etc/shadow on an older server with md5 password hashes, it's
not nearly as dangerous as a MITM attack with password authentication.

Don't do it if you don't understand the risks. In this case, I think it's a
fair trade - convenience versus a very rare risk.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Privacy has to be viewed in the context of relative power. For example,
the government has a lot more power than the people. So privacy for