BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Need guidance for backing up remote Windows PC

2013-03-20 17:02:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Need guidance for backing up remote Windows PC
From: "Jeff Boyce" <jboyce AT meridianenv DOT com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:00:46 -0700
Greetings -

I am trying to figure out if my objective is possible.  I want to be able to
backup a remote Window box that connects to the local network via OpenVPN.
I have scanned through the archives and have seen some discussion of similar
things, but nothing that really gives me good overall direction on whether
it will work, or how to get it to work, with my network configuration.  I am
using BackupPC to backup the local Windows boxes, and would like to add a
remote one.  I am not that concerned about the time it would take to
complete a backup over the WAN, as I can configure it to work at night.

Local Network
  Sequoia = Samba (and WINS server) and OpenVPN server (192.168.112.50)
  Taxa = DNSmasq (dns and dhcp server) (192.168.112.51)
  Bacteria = BackupPC server (192.168.112.52)
  Network IP = 192.168.112.0/24

Remote Windows Box
  Computer Name = jks-e6500
  Remote LAN IP = unknown
  Remote WAN IP = dynamic
  OpenVPN Common Name = jkssequoiaclient
  OpenVPN IP = static, 10.9.8.10
  OpenVPN routed network

I have BackupPC configured to connect to the local Window boxes via SMB, as
I didn't care for the cygwin and rsync implementation on windows when I used
it in the past.  Besides, I already have Samba configured and running just
fine, so why not just use it.  I seem to have both DNS and netbios name
resolution working properly for the local LAN, but don't know how the remote
box fits into that when it connects to Samba via a VPN network.

My thinking is that since the remote Windows box can connect and browse the
Samba shares on Sequoia via the VPN, then obviously Samba knows how to
communicate with this remote client.  Somehow I need to understand how that
is occurring (what name or what IP address is Samba referencing for the
remote box?) and make that information known to the BackupPC server
(possibly via the DNSmasq server?) so that it could initiate a backup.

Any suggestions on a general approach to evaluating how to achieve my
objective would be appreciated.  Please CC me directly as I only get the
mailing list via the daily digest.  Thanks.

Jeff Boyce
Meridian Environmental
www.meridianenv.com