BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving incremental backups?

2013-03-14 16:10:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archiving incremental backups?
From: Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter AT home DOT se>
To: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>, backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 21:08:55 +0100
On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 04:12:31AM +0100, Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Peter Carlsson wrote on 2013-03-09 11:10:59 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
> Archiving incremental backups?]:
> > [...]
> > I regulary do an archive to a USB HDD that I store offsite. This is a
> > manual step since I have to bring the HDD, do the archiving, and then
> > store the HDD offsite again.
> >
> > To know for sure that files that are modified in between these regular
> > archives, I want to make tar archives of the incremental backups and
> > move them on a daily basis offsite over the Internet.
> >
> > Why I only want to do this for the incremental backuped files is to
> > reduce the amount of data over the Internet.
>
> in theory, you could use rsync to transfer incremental changes over the
> internet. This could even be substantially less traffic than an incremental
> tar, presuming you have changing files that can efficiently be transferred
> with rsync (like growing log files or large files where only small portions
> change from day to day). In the worst case (only new files, no changed files)
> there should not be much difference, except that rsync requires more
> computational power, and that rsync (with the right options) will track
> deletions. rsync also has built-in capability to limit transfer bandwidth.
>
> The thing is, you would need to keep an image of your target file system on
> both ends, i.e. unpack the tar file on your USB HDD and have it accessible
> over
> the internet, and have a local copy on or near your BackupPC server. You could
> use the original file system (the one you back up in the first place) instead
> of a copy, presuming your concern is not to mirror backup state (your file
> system will probably have changed since the last backup), and the file system
> can handle the additional load of the rsync run.
>
> One thing I would like to note, though, is that you really want at least two
> independent offsite copies, so you will not be left without one if things
> break while you are replacing the old copy with a new one. This is especially
> true with tar archives. An rsync run will generally not destroy much (maybe
> one file) if it fails prematurely, though it will leave you with a state of
> your offsite copy that probably never existed on the original (which is easily
> fixed if you can just restart rsync). But you should note that requiring the
> offsite copy to be online (at least during the incremental update) makes it
> somewhat vulnerable, so having an additional *offline* offsite backup would
> be a good idea.
>
> > But what I want to achieve is, at least in my
> > opinion, better than to only have the full manual archives that at
> > best will be done one or two times a month.
>
> With rsync, in my opinion, you can almost get away without the full manual
> archives. The same note applies here as in the frequently asked question,
> "with rsync, do I need full backups at all?". Ideally, you would turn on the
> [...]

Hi,

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I realize after yours and others explanations, that I have not thought
about all the shortcomings, but I was thinking this could be a good
compromise. This would allow me (at least with some effort) to restore
modified files even if a crash happened between two full archives.

I will go back to my drawing board and think more about what I want to
achieve, now that I have additional information.

Best regards,
Peter Carlsson