BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Some usefull features for the future

2013-01-16 15:34:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Some usefull features for the future
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:32:33 -0500
Jonathan Schaeffer wrote at about 10:19:52 +0100 on Wednesday, January 16, 2013:
 > Hi list,
 >
 > I was recently asked by some coworkers during a backuppc presentation
 > for some usefull functionalities missing in the current stable release.
 > Those requests are :
 > - managing roles for the users connected to the web UI and assigning
 > clients to a group so that users belonging to a role are able to operate
 > only on some of the clients
 > - being able to see the size of a directory in the web UI when browsing
 > a client's backups.
 >
 > What do you think about it, does it sound feasable ?

Not a question of technical feasibility but rather a question about
the state of active development

No further development is occurring on 3.x. The last release was a
bug fix release a few years back.

The lead (and sole) developer was reportedly working on a substantial
re-write on a 4.x tree; however, the last communication from him on
this topic was almost 2 years ago and he has rarely even participated
in general on the list since then. So, not clear that there is any
active development going on now. Of course, for all we know, he could
be plowing ahead in silence...

So, I guess unless you are planning on adding such changes, it is most
unlikely to happen anytime soon if at all. If you do implement it,
there really isn't any established process now for merging your
additions into new releases.