BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] can run su backuppc user

2012-12-11 08:49:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] can run su backuppc user
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:48:13 -0600
On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:38 AM, draccusfly
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> I inherited an existing backuppc system which is working in the main but
> there are a couple of issues that I am troubleshooting.  1 is email not going
> out, so I logged on to the server and tried to run su backuppc so that I can
> manually try and send an email.  But I get an authentication error when I run
> su backuppc.  I know I have the correct password but still am unable to run.
> If I try the command BackupPC_sendEmail -u email address I get an unknown
> command error.  I have checked the /etc/passwd file (after reading another
> post) and found that the user backuppc has /bin/bash shell access.
>
> Any other ideas?

Two ideas:

1. Try "su backuppc" as root since it shouldn't ask for a password.
2. Make sure the password is right by resetting it, "passwd backuppc".

On a side note, system accounts shouldn't have shell access for
security reasons, when I want to login as backuppc I have to use, "su
-s /bin/bash backuppc" or something like that.

HTH ,
Richard