BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Name server problems in hosts or config.pl

2012-12-08 04:36:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Name server problems in hosts or config.pl
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 10:33:59 +0100
Bruce Thayre wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>    I've been a maintainer of an old install of backuppc until our server
> recently died.  I've reinstalled and brought all other services back
> except for backuppc.  Many of our backup clients are behind routers and
> I had been using the ClientNameAlias option in their respective
> config.pl files.  However, when I try the test command:
> bash-4.1$ /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -f -v $CLIENT
try:
CLIENT='name as in $Conf{ClientNameAlias}'
ping -c2 $CLIENT
sudo -u backuppc /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -f -v $CLIENT

> I get the output:
>
> Name server doesn't know about $CLIENT; trying NetBios
> cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /usr/bin/nmblookup $CLIENT
> cmdSystemOrEval: finished: got output querying $CLIENT on
> $UNREGISTERED_IP_ON_OUR_SUBNET
> name_query failed to find name $CLIENT
>
> NetBiosHostIPFind: couldn't find IP address for host $CLIENT
> host not found
>
>    I'm a little confused by the output.  I have the host setup with
> DHCP=0, and rsyncd is my backup method in /etc/config.pl.  I'm not quite
> sure why backuppc is trying to use the hostname as a netbios name, and
> why it seems to ignore the router ip I provide in the client's config.pl
> file.  More perplexing is that nmblookup seems to return an ip address,
> but that ip address is not in use.  It won't resolve using nslookup, so
> I'm can't understand where it was found. Any insight would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Bruce

My Config:
/etc/backuppc/config.pl:
$Conf{NmbLookupPath} = '/usr/bin/nmblookup';
$Conf{PingPath} = '/bin/ping';

/etc/backuppc/CLIENT.pl
$Conf{ClientNameAlias} = 'name of CLIENT';
$Conf{NmbLookupCmd } = '$nmbLookupPath -A $host';
$Conf{NmbLookupFindHostCmd } = '$nmbLookupPath $host';
$Conf{FixedIPNetBiosNameCheck} = '';

br
Matthias
--