BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Name server problems in hosts or config.pl

2012-12-07 18:20:26
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Name server problems in hosts or config.pl
From: Bruce Thayre <bthayre AT physics.ucsd DOT edu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 14:43:42 -0800
Hello Everyone,
   I've been a maintainer of an old install of backuppc until our server
recently died.  I've reinstalled and brought all other services back
except for backuppc.  Many of our backup clients are behind routers and
I had been using the ClientNameAlias option in their respective
config.pl files.  However, when I try the test command:
bash-4.1$ /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -f -v $CLIENT

I get the output:

Name server doesn't know about $CLIENT; trying NetBios
cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /usr/bin/nmblookup $CLIENT
cmdSystemOrEval: finished: got output querying $CLIENT on
$UNREGISTERED_IP_ON_OUR_SUBNET
name_query failed to find name $CLIENT

NetBiosHostIPFind: couldn't find IP address for host $CLIENT
host not found

   I'm a little confused by the output.  I have the host setup with
DHCP=0, and rsyncd is my backup method in /etc/config.pl.  I'm not quite
sure why backuppc is trying to use the hostname as a netbios name, and
why it seems to ignore the router ip I provide in the client's config.pl
file.  More perplexing is that nmblookup seems to return an ip address,
but that ip address is not in use.  It won't resolve using nslookup, so
I'm can't understand where it was found. Any insight would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks,
Bruce