BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)

2012-12-05 14:49:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 13:48:06 -0600
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Markus <universe AT truemetal DOT org> wrote:

> For every share one (two, actually: rsync+ssh) defunct process is
> created once the backup of that share was done and while the "overall"
> backup is still running (while other shares are still getting backed up).
>
> I've tried it again and I got the same effect again. I guess it's just
> not designed to backup hundreds or even thousands of shares of a single
> client (in a single backup run). But I still believe that if the
> defunct' processes weren't created my script-attempt (1 directory on the
> client = 1 share in the clients' config) would work! (and possibly much
> faster?)

And I still don't believe that hundreds of defunct processes should be
a problem unless you run out of process table slots (not sure how
those are allocated but there should be a large number available).
Every process needs one and they don't get cleaned up until the parent
process wait(s) to pick up the status or exits.

> Unfortunately I don't know how I can confirm that these defunct
> processes still consume CPU/memory except for the fact that the whole
> backup crashes with the beforementioned out-of-memory message once a few
> hundred shares have been backed up. 'ps' is telling me that the defunct
> processes still consume CPU, though. Memory is just at "0". So, don't
> know if 'ps' is trustworthy there.

CPU use should not be increasing, but the table should hold the
cumulative use until the process exited.   It may be that the backuppc
server process doesn't release memory between shares, though.  That
seems like a bug but you might work around it by splitting the shares
into hosts using the ClientAliasName feature mentioned before.