BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problem part II

2012-12-04 23:39:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Full restore problem part II
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 22:37:44 -0600
On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1 AT verizon DOT net>
wrote:

> OK. On the backup server, I restarted the restore process and it is still
> running?. But, using KDE's SystemMonitor, the total accumulated CPU time
> over an hour period for backuppc restore is zero +\- 1 second. I attached
> strace to the backuppc restore PID with the following command line code:
>     strace -fp 24746 -e open
> This should have given a running list of all files opened by the restore
> process. There was no action over a one hour period. (the 24746 is the pid
> for the backuppc restore process gotten from the System Monitor). Unless
> this is a very unusual program, the program is not doing anything

Keep in mind that rsync will transfer the entire directory listing for
comparison before starting to transfer files.  Not sure if you'll
catch directory reads with that -e open or not.

> I use
> inetd.conf to start the rsync daemon with an entry of :
>
>      rsync   stream  tcp  nowait   root  /usr/bin/rsync   rsyncd --daemon
>
> If the -D switch must be included, should it be something like rsyncd -D
> daemon.

While this should work, I'm curious why you don't use rsync over ssh
which would be more typical for Linux.