BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring Backuppc itself

2012-10-25 17:40:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring Backuppc itself
From: Tomasz Klimaszewski <klimae AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 23:39:22 +0200
2012/10/16 M.Baert <m.baert AT free DOT fr>:
> Thank you very much Les and Tyler.
> I'll go that way and save my tracks.
> Would they be useful on the wiki ?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michelle
>
> On 10/16/2012 06:41 AM, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>> On 2012-10-15 20:07, Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> The only likely problems would be if the backuppc version has changed
>>> or the packaging has changed the locations for things - and these
>>> shouldn't have much chance of harming your existing archive.     What
>>> I usually do for similar cases is save copies of the current copies
>>> before the restore and diff against the restored copies to make sure I
>>> understand the configuration setting differences.
>>
>> I can absolutely confirm that there is no packaging issue or directory
>> structure change going from any Ubuntu release since 8.04 forward, even
>> with the version differences.
>>
>> You may have to add this to config.pl under 12.04:
>>
>> $Conf{Ping6Path} = '/bin/ping6';
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tyler

I will not tell you how to solve this situation.
I could told you how I avoid such maintenance issuse like changing
machines or host system. Simply any production service like backuppc I
run in seperate
vserver(http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org). It
enquire patched kernel but after that you received easly removable
service. Right know I am moving all valuable services to seperated
vservers. What I received after that ?? Seperated environments I could
easly backup, upgrade and if something didn't worked out after upgrade
I recovery from upgrade of whole guest system.

--
somebody known as:
Tomasz Klimaszewski