BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Link takes ages

2012-07-05 09:55:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC_Link takes ages
From: jonas <jonas AT freesources DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 15:53:56 +0200
Hello again,

first, I forgot to mention an important detail: we changed from ext3 to
xfs on the 5TB RAID10 array which holds all BackupPC data during the
re-setup.

Am 05.07.2012 15:04, schrieb Adam Goryachev:
>  One thing this sounds like is that you moved the location for the
> backups, therefore instead of linking the files, every backup is
> actually a full copy (because the links fail to the pool/cpool).
> Check
> the backuppc log files and see if anything unusual is being logged.

no, this doesn't seem to be the problem. I didn't find any unexpected
logs. The pc/$HOST directory shrinks a lot during the link-process, so I
consider this as evidence that pooling actually works as expected. I did
recognize though, that the pool directory is empty on all BackupPC
servers. All pooled files seem to be stored in cpool instead. Is this
expected?

>  Failing that, consider the things that have changed from the old
> server to the "re-setup server":
>  1) Hardware - hard drives, controller, amount of RAM, etc....

Kept exactly the same. We actually shredded the filesystem and thus had
to re-setup. Hardware didn't change.

>  2) Filesystem or hard drive layout/configuration (ie, RAID level,
> layout, chunk size, ext3 compared to jfs, etc)

As written above: moved from ext3 to xfs as we thought that this might
increase performance.

>  3) Double check (while the system is idle if possible) the
> performance of the server, disk speed, especially random read/write
> performance).

Seems normal to me. BackupPC produces heavy load and IO-wait, but
that's expected for large backup-setups, isn't it? ;)

Here's some value from 'iostat -kx' (/dev/sdb contains all the BackupPC
data):

Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 (backuphost) 07/05/12 _x86_64_ (8 CPU)

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
           13.42    0.00    1.73   25.96    0.00   58.89

Device: rrqm/s  wrqm/s    r/s    w/s   rkB/s   wkB/s avgrq-sz avgqu-sz
await svctm %util
sdb      42.65 1141.40 336.04 168.85 7006.47 5613.14    49.99     0.27
0.52  0.33 16.42

>  4) Consider that if all clients are configured at the same time,
> then all clients will start doing full backups on the same days,
> which
> will screw with performance. Try to manually run full backups on some
> clients to skew the timelines, so that full backups are spread across
> different days.

Yes, already did this, I even deactivated most of the hosts for several
days to give BackupPC some time to keep up with backlog. Didn't help
either.

Am 05.07.2012 14:22, schrieb Bryan Keadle (.net):
> Initial backups on the new server would take longer than what you're
> seeing with the established server which only needs to do changes
> after having done the initial full.  Your new server has already done
> the initial backups of your host and it's the subsequent backups that
> are taking so long?

Yes, all initial full backups are done since more than a week ago.
Still the described issues.

Best Regards,
  jonas