BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the simplest solution for single PC and USB external HD ?þ

2011-10-21 22:50:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the simplest solution for single PC and USB external HD ?þ
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 09:49:19 +0700
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 4:03 AM, John Smith <daisy1841 AT hotmail DOT com>
wrote:
>> I have dual boot computer with two hard drives.  One drive has a
>> Vista install and the other has Debian, Swap and two more partitions.
>>
>> I installed using aptitude.  The program now works and backs up /etc
>> to /var/lib/backuppc.  I would like to be able to back up Vista using
>> MS backup program and also be able to back up Debian with the
>> same external HD using backuppc.

John,

I am doing this in certain situations, and as people point out it's
not what BackupPC is designed for, but it's doable and one way to
start the learning curve as you say.

I'm sure you're aware that BackupPC requires a *nix filesystem, I
believe current Debians default to ext4 which should be fine, as would
be ext3.

Windoze wants NTFS, and if you're using the built-in system imaging
solution, that will create its own directory in the root of whatever
partition you point it to.

I would advise using whatever drive partitioning tool you're
comfortable with (I use a bootable Parted Magic disc) to divide up
your external HDD something like (this is an example from something I
set up for a client):

(empty space A) [extended (30% logical NTFS) (empty spaceB) (30%
logical ext3/4) (empty spaceC) ]

A is for future primary partitions, perhaps bootable - in my case I've
got a GRUB2 standalone boot partition containing various utility ISOs
I can boot into, then a couple regular distro boot partitions I
backup-restore for testing purposes, one of which is now Ubuntu
containing a current BackupPC install - everything but the data.

All my BackupPC data is under a "BPC_topdir" folder in the root of the
ext3 partition, including the logs and config folders, which are the
targets of symlinks back in the Ubuntu install so that BackupPC thinks
everything is actually in its default locations, while actually
everything it needs is in one self-contained partition.

Windows 7 periodically backs up C: drive to a cold-metal restore image
to the NTFS partition, while BPC does its magic (much more frequently)
keeping all the variable user data backed up, with historic
version-control. It doesn't need to be limited to the single W7 host
of course, backing up everything across the network is what it's
designed for.

The drive rotates among the various PCs at the client, allowing both
the system images and the data backups to be stored on one external
drive. That drive gets cloned occasionally and the copy stored
off-site. Works well for that situation - the client didn't want to
dedicate a PC to just doing backups, and the imaging side of things
works must faster locally than it would over the network - it's e-SATA
rather than USB as well.

Note that an imaging program like StorageCraft's ShadowProtect (which
I recommend) or Acronis will give much more power and flexibility than
the built-in Windows backup programs, but at least with the W7 version
I've found the latter to be find for basic usage.

Hope this helps. . .