BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the simplest solution for single PC and USB external HD ?þ

2011-10-20 12:28:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] What is the simplest solution for single PC and USB external HD ?þ
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:26:47 -0500
> I have dual boot computer with two hard drives.  One drive has a
> Vista install and the other has Debian, Swap and two more partitions.
>
> I installed using aptitude.  The program now works and backs up /etc
> to /var/lib/backuppc.  I would like to be able to back up Vista using
> MS backup program and also be able to back up Debian with the
> same external HD using backuppc.
>
> As a side note, install on Debian Lenny was a bit confusing as the
> script said that install could only be automatically configured for
> Apache, and then it lists Apache2 underneath as one of the options.
> I first checked Apache and it didn't work.  After a purge and reinstall
> the program worked with no additional configuration.

BackupPC doesn't seem like a good fit for backing up a single machine.  It
can certainly do the job, but it excels at backing up multiple systems
centrally, not filling the role of a desktop backup to external storage.

To answer your question, the simplest solution for single PC backup as you
describe would probably be something like sbackup --
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sbackup/ -- which is naturally quite a
different goal than BackupPC.