BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Minimal cygwin install?

2011-10-06 01:55:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Minimal cygwin install?
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:53:24 +0700
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 5:01 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I've always just done a full install of Cygwin where I needed it, but
> now I'm looking for an installer package that would be easier for
> others to use.  Is there anything like cwrsync that also includes
> sshd?

Les,

I've found with recent version of Cygwin, there aren't any registry or
other issues preventing a fully "portable" (as in runs from any
path/drive letter/external device) non-installation setup - IOW, get
it running on one machine and then distribute via a zip file or
however you like.

If you google "portable cygwin" you'll find a very confusing mishmash
of only occasionally accurate information, but I've spent a fair bit
of time testing and configuring things without anything special and
"it just works".

My X:\Cygwin tree contains setup.exe, a "download.bat" to do a
"download only" update to a local 0-setup-pkgs folder, and an
"install.bat" to update/add to the local apps from that setup folder
if needed.

The sshd setup, cygrunsrv and all that still needs to be run on each
client of course, and this part is what is then non-portable, but all
the regular tools work without anything special needed in the
registry, given you set up any path modifications, environment
variables with (again centrally managed) batch files.

Let me know if you want any further specific details, directly
off-list would be fine.

Hans