BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Search for File

2011-10-01 22:00:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Search for File
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:56:57 -0400
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 10:30:18 -0400 on Wednesday, September 28, 2011:
 > Gerald Brandt <gbr AT majentis DOT com> wrote on 09/28/2011 10:15:12 AM:
 >
 > > I need to search for a specific file on a host, via backuppc.  Is
 > > there a way to search a host backup, so I don't have to manually go
 > > through all directories via the web interface?
 >
 > The easiest, most direct way of doing that would be:
 >
 > cd /path/to/host/pc/directory
 > find . | grep "f<filename>"

I think it would generally be faster to do:
  find . -name "f<filename>"

This still may have a problem in that the f-mangling *also* converts
non-printable ascii characters (and also whitespace and /) into %<hex>
codes. So, if your filename contains any of those chars then you need
to change the search term to be written that way.

Also, you need to be careful about incrementals vs. fulls since incrementals
will include only the most recently changed files while fulls might
not include the latest version if there are subsequent incrementals.

You can avoid both of the above problems by using backuppc-fuse as
pointed out by another respondent, though it may be slower.