BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy

2011-10-01 00:24:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fairly large backuppc pool (4TB) moved with backuppc_tarpccopy
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT rather.puzzling DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 14:22:13 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, Mike Dresser wrote:

> On 29/09/11 10:28 PM, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> > Can I assume this is because the new HDD's perform better than the old?
> > In other words, would it be safe to assume you would get even better
> > performance using RAID10 with the new HDD's than you are getting with RAID6?
>
> Yes, the new drives are several generations newer.  If i went with
> Raid10 again, I would need 8 drives instead of 6.

With Raid10, as you say, you need more drives than Raid 6.  That increases
the likelihood of having multiple drive failures.

Slightly different RPMs from the different generations of disks in your
Raid10 as someone else suggested, might introduce resonances in your
enclosure that would cause more vibration than identical drives.

It's all too tricky.  I'm going back to clay tablets.

--
Tim Connors