BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze

2011-09-13 23:12:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 23:04:45 -0400
Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote on 09/13/2011 07:01:58 PM:

> Hi,
>
> Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote on 2011-09-13 09:16:10 -0400 [Re:
> [BackupPC-users] Backups very slow after upgrade to squeeze]:
> > James L. Evans wrote at about 13:50:38 -0400 on Monday, September 12, 2011:
> >  > After further experimenting, it appears that with squeeze (unlike lenny)
> >  > that running BackupPC_nightly and BackupPC_dump at the same time is the
> >  > problem. After changing the schedule so that BackupPC_nightly runs hours
> >  > before the backups start that everybody is happy.
> >
> > Not sure why that would be true. Do they use the same versions of BackupPC?
>
> I don't see why the version of BackupPC would matter much. Well, yes, 2.x will
> prevent _nightly and _dump from running concurrently, so that would work
> around the problem, if that's what you were aiming at. For what it's worth,
> both lenny and squeeze contain BackupPC 3.1.0 (though different Debian package
> versions).

It's also very likely that the nightly parameter was changed:  Maybe it was, say, 10, 1, 2, 3... and the new one is 1, 2, 3...;  that means that the nightly is moved to a time when it is very likely a backup is running (1AM) instead of a time when it's unlikely to be doing so (10AM).

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com