BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] md4 doesn't match even though VSS is used

2011-09-11 13:42:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] md4 doesn't match even though VSS is used
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 13:40:59 -0400
Matthias Meyer wrote at about 15:29:09 +0200 on Sunday, September 11, 2011:
 > Dear all,
 >
 > I've a problem by backing up a large file (9GB) because the internet
 > connection of the client interrupts every 24 hours.
 >
 > BackupPC (V3.1.0) can rsync this file once with status:
 > "md4 doesn't match: will retry in phase 1; file removed"
 > With "lsof /var/lib/backuppc" I can see this "phase 1" transfer some minutes
 > later.
 > But the internet connection will interrupt shortly before this second
 > transfer were finished :-(
 >
 > I am sure that the source file (Windows client) is on a volume shadow copy
 > and rsync is using this source because:
 > - /etc/rsyncd.conf contains only one "path = /cygdrive/Z/"
 > - ls /cygdrive/ shows only the drives C and D
 > - ls /cygdrive/Z lists the same files as ls /cygdrive/C
 >
 > So it should not possible that the source was changed.
 >
 > Did /usr/share/backuppc/lib/BackupPC/Xfer/RsyncFileIO.pm compare the md4
 > diggest from the begin of a transfer with a recalculated md4 diggest at the
 > end of the transfer?
 >
 > Somebody else have a similiar problem?
 >
 > Is there any known solution to solving my problem?
 >
 > What happens if I patch the RsyncFileIO.pm so that it will ignore the "md4
 > doesn't match"?
 >
 > I know I should try it instead asking for it. But I'm not sure what the
 > meaning of md4 is and hopefully someone can give me a hint.

I would not ignore the md4 mismatch. md4sums are used on block sums
and file sums both to ensure the transfer was errorless and also as
part of rsync's delta matching algorithm that allows it to only
transfer over changed blocks.

I'm not sure what is the cause of your problem. But I would first try
naked rsync (without BackupPC) and with protocol manually set to
protocol 28 so that md4 sums are used rather than md5sums. See what
happens when you try to transfer the file...