BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Round-tripping config.pl between hand-coding and the web interface

2011-09-09 11:10:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Round-tripping config.pl between hand-coding and the web interface
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:08:01 -0400
hansbkk AT gmail DOT com wrote at about 21:28:24 +0700 on Friday, September 9,
2011:
 > Anyway, I'll try to keep quiet for a while, in particular not
 > discussing my ideas to have bootable HDDs implementing BackupPC-based
 > per-client personal "Time Machines". 8-)
 >
 > Can anyone suggest a more suitable list/forum for discussing such
 > speculative topics, just tossing ideas around, as opposed to specific
 > break/fix situations?

Well it depends... there is a development version of this list to
discuss development issues though it is low traffic and may not have a
lot of subscribers.

But MORE IMPORTANTLY, I think the point is that this list is "staffed"
by volunteers who have limited time and resources. We are eager to
help people who have specific, well-thought out, and BackupPC-related
questions. Also, people who contribute bug fixes or (working & tested)
new code are welcome.

However, what is much less welcome are people who just suggest
ill-defined or loosely-defined ideas that may have only narrow
relevance and then expect the list to flesh-out and translate their
ideas into something that actually makes sense and is doable.

In other words, if you want to invest the effort in fleshing-out,
developing, and testing an extension to BackupPC or a new usage case,
that's great and in most cases very welcome. But if your intention is
to just loosely formulate and throw-out some vague ideas and then
expect the list to do the hard work for you of fleshing it out and
implementing it, such contributions are typically less welcome --
unless perhaps you are addressing a topic that is of clear broad
interest to many people.