BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Getting backuppc to wol a client

2011-09-06 12:25:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Getting backuppc to wol a client
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 11:24:21 -0500
> First, I created wolping.sh (notice change from .bsh to .sh) and put it
> into /etc/backuppc.

I also prefer .sh for shell extensions, but it's only a preference,
there's no inherent meaning to the extension in *nixes, which I'm
mentioning in case anybody misunderstands that this fixed something.

On a vaguely related note, the FHS restricts /etc to static configuration
files, so this properly belongs in the /usr hierarchy, for example, under
/usr/local/bin.  Like extensions, the FHS is just a set of guidelines, and
failure to adhere to it doesn't result in any functional problems, of
course.

> Changed it permissions to allow execution (chmod 750
> [filename].) Changed owner to backuppc:www-data. Found
> NmbLookupFindHostCmd and made it blank.
>
> Then set server pingpath to /etc/backuppc/wolping.sh. Created
> /etc/ethers containing my client mac addresses (because I had manually
> tested etherwake from server and it was working already so why change to
> wakeonlan.)

For the record, pingpath can appear in local machine settings as well,
though the script doesn't cause any harm to run globally.

My choice of wakeonlan was partly arbitrary, since it happened to be handy
for my distro, but I don't really like the idea of maintaining
/etc/ethers.