BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file backup problem (12GB)

2011-09-02 10:54:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Large file backup problem (12GB)
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 10:46:42 -0400
Dag <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote on 08/31/2011 09:03:42 AM:

> I apologise if my question is answered before (I didn’t find it)
>
> I have a problem when BackupPC (3.2.1) tries to backup a large file,
> about 12GB in size.
> I use a CentOS BackupPC server backing up an CentOS client with
> rsync over ssh.
> I first saw this using CentOS 5 and rsync 2.x, I therefore upgraded
> to CentOS 6 which has rsync 3.x as google search indicated there
> might be an issue with rsync that was fixed in 3.0X?
> But the problem still exists ...

Just an anecdote for you:  I do not use rsync over ssh, but I do use rsyncd.  In the case of backing up a Microsoft Exchange server, I have to back up a single 80GB file that changes daily.  I do not have any problems, and I have tested both backups and restores.

> More details;
> The source file (ls –l) on the client;
> -rwxr----- 1 user1 server 12773621760 Feb  4  2011 2010-12-19 Huge
> HD recording 2010.m2ts
>
> The transfer of date does not stop, and I had to stop it manually
> when the “backup file” reached ~1/2 TB on the BackupPC server (in
> the TopDir/pc structure);
> -rw-r-----   1 backuppc backuppc 499482475314 Aug 31 11:59
> f2010-12-19 Huge HD recording 2010.m2ts
>
> I don’t know the processes involved, but it seemed to me that /usr/
> share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump was the process writing to the 1/2
> TB file (just guessing here?)

It would be.

> I have other of size up to 6GB where the backup succeeds, where are
> the limitations above that?
> But where is this limitation, is it BackupPC, rsync or? What can I do?

Unfortunately I cannot help you any more than to say that, at least with rsyncd, I have successfully backed up files seven times larger than that.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com