BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?

2011-08-08 13:36:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: friedmann <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>, alefriedx AT gmail DOT com
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:34:27 +0200
Hi,

as Jeffrey said, we'll need meaningful information to give meaningful answers.
One thing I can answer, though:

friedmann wrote on 2011-08-08 09:19:51 -0700 [[BackupPC-users]  Too many links
: where is the problem ?]:
> [...]
> the backup machine is 32bits, ubuntu 10.04.1, operating on ext3 partitions :
> What is then the maximum value for this parameter ?

figure it out for yourself:

        % # go to a directory on the partition you are interested in, make sure
you have write access
        % mkdir linktest
        % cd linktest
        % touch 1
        % perl -e 'for (my $i = 2; ; $i ++) { link "1", $i or die "Cant create
${i}th link: $!\n"; }'

(this answer is also valid for any other (UNIX type) OS/FS).

Regards,
Holger