BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on client machine running on Fedora13

2011-08-05 09:11:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on client machine running on Fedora13
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 08:08:47 -0500
On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 1:19 AM, jiahwei
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> Hi Les,
>
> I have solved the network issue.
>
> However I was wondering if anyone could guide me along with the rsync method
> of backing up a fedora machine?

Of course I must respond with the obligatory "Read the
documentation"[1] answer :)

Now that that's out of the way, here's some hints.

Assuming BackupPC is basically up and running and that you want to
perform passwordless SSH authentication, you need to read this[2].

Now, personally, I don't exchange keys manually because I don't do it
that often and sometimes can't remember which key goes where and in
which file. So I would stop after "Key generation".

Then I would use "ssh-copy-id" which will take care of the key
exchange and permissions.

Things to keep in mind:

1. You need to create your keys as your backuppc user ("backuppc" on
Fedora). I do this by logging into the backuppc user from root:

su -l backuppc -s /bin/bash

The -s option is needed on Fedora since for security reasons the
backuppc user is not assigned a shell by default.

2. For the same reason, ssh-copy-id needs to be run as the backuppc
user as well. Assuming you're going to login as root to the remote
machine:

ssh-copy-id root@<client machine>

After that you should be able to login to the remote machine without a password.

Some other topics google are "nice"ing and "ionice"ing the process if
you want to minimize the impact to the remote machine which is good if
you're going to backup a server or client that's "in use".

Richard

[1] http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html
[2] http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html#how_do_i_setup_openssh