BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-17 14:11:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 14:05:57 -0400
"lmirguet AT microworld DOT org" <lmirguet AT microworld DOT org> wrote on 05/17/2011 01:11:42 PM:

> The interest of a NAS is that it provides a strong RAID system with
> a lightweight Linux system on top - and this at a reasonable price.

Yeah... No.  No it does not.  It provides *EXACTLY* the same RAID system that you can get with *any* old Linux system.

It may include a very attractive package:  I love the size and shape of, say, the Iomega ix4-200d.  But all its got is a very standard SATA interface and MD for RAID.  Just like *EVERY* Linux distribution in the last decade or so.

> If you want a good RAID system on a standard server/desktop it
> becomes really more expensive (as RAID systems are generally not in
> the default configuration).

They are just as "in the default configuration" as that NAS device.

Low-end NAS devices offer nothing outside of packaging and turn-key operation FOR THE SOFTWARE THEY INCLUDE.  Everthing else is just one sharp corner after another.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com