BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?

2011-05-17 11:30:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Best NAS device to run BackupPC ?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:25:12 -0400
"lmirguet AT microworld DOT org" <lmirguet AT microworld DOT org> wrote on 05/17/2011 10:23:53 AM:

> Now comes the choice of the NAS... What NAS device would you
> recommend with a good ratio "performance / easy to install BackupPC on it" ?
>
> The ideal situation would be a NAS with BackupPC pre-installed - or
> a NAS with some available BackupPC packages ready to deploy.

Such a device does not exist.

> I looked at Synology / QNap / WD Sharespace but in each case the
> install of BackupPC seems tedious, and I'm not sure of the
> performances I will get on such devices...

It is tedious, and the performance will not be great.  BackupPC is somewhat CPU intensive.  I run it on VIA 1.2-1.5GHz based systems, and I'm somewhat CPU limited.  (But I only use a single internal drive, so more CPU would not help much.)

I've toyed with the idea of putting BackupPC directly on an Iomega ix4-200d, but given the difficulties, I haven't yet tried.  That, and when you add the idea of an external hard drive (for archives, not the pool), the pretty form-factor of the NAS just gets ruined by a hard drive dangling off the side, so why bother?

One option for using a NAS is to use a standard PC in front of it and mount the NAS via iSCSI (**NOT** NFS!!!) and use the NAS' storage that way.  That will give you the best results:  many have tried to use pools mounted via NFS, and few (none?) have succeeded.  BackupPC is pretty hard on filesystems, and NFS is fragile.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com