BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] The usual questions looking for better ansers

2011-04-29 14:44:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] The usual questions looking for better ansers
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:42:30 -0500
On 4/29/2011 1:09 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:

>> Is this the 1st or 2nd full? It may improve by itself if you have the
>> --checksum-seed=32761 option set so the server won't have to recompute
>> the values.
>
> It's the 1st full so I guess that wouldn't help... Is that a safe
> option to keep using all the time?

Yes - with it on, the block checksums needed to verify the file are
saved on the 2nd run so the server doesn't have to uncompress and
recompute them on subsequent full runs.

> The files are commercial animation files so I'm guessing they are
> large. I was looking for a utility like 'du' except for file size
> distribution but didn't really find anything. They can't really be
> excluded since they are the point of the backup...

If they don't change, things will go faster later.  Incrementals will
skip over on the directory timestamp/length match.  Fulls will do a
block checksum verify.

>>> 3. I have more than one share that needs to be backed up from the
>>> client but they want a different backup schedule for 1 of the shares.
>>> Am I going to have to setup fake/virtual hosts to accomplish this?
>>
>> Yes.  But make sure they understand that the pooling in backuppc means
>> they wouldn't actually store more copies (unless they change) of files
>> if they run all the shares at the more frequent schedule.
>
> That shouldn't be a problem, these are different directories with
> dissimilar files, so not a pooling opportunity.

What I mean is that multiple runs of the same share are pooled, so while
there may be other (load, network traffic) reasons to back up some parts
less frequently, doing all the shares at the most frequent desired
schedule probably won't take a lot more server space.

>>> The host->ip resolution is being handled by a hosts file so I could
>>> add aliases there so BackupPC would treat them as separate clients,
>>> right?
>>
>> Yes, but you could also use the ClientAlias setting in backuppc itself
>> to make different host configurations point to the same real name or IP.
>
> Can you point me to some documentation on how to use ClientAlias?
> Surprisingly googling "backuppc clientalias" didn't seem to get me
> what I needed. And I found no instances of that in the basic
> documentation.

Sorry, it is actually $Conf{ClientNameAlias}.  You can use dummy
hostnames so you can control the schedule separately but override the
actual target with this setting.