BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping 1 month of files and number of full backups

2011-04-03 14:09:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Keeping 1 month of files and number of full backups
From: Matthias Meyer <matthias.meyer AT gmx DOT li>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 20:06:31 +0200
Scott wrote:

> I want to be able to restore a file for users up to one month in the past.
>
> What is the difference / what is the best -
>
> To do a full backup every 2 weeks, keeping 2 full backups,
> and incrementals every day , or
>
> Do a full backup every 1 month and incrementals every day?

Within the Web GUI of BackupPC are no differences bwetween incremental or
full backups. Each backup number will display always all files containing to
this backup independent if they are stored during the actual incremental or
a previos incremental or a previous full.
If you are using rsync than the only difference between full and incremental
are:
- incremental only scan files which are created after the last backup.
  Therefore it is a lot faster than a full backup.
- full backup scan all files, also files which would be extracted from an
  archive after the last backup but have an extracted timestamp older than
  the last backup.
  Therefore a full is much slower but get really all "new" files.

I do a full every week and incrementals every day. I keep the incrementals
for 14 days, the weekly fulls for 8 weeks and the monthly fulls for a year.

br
Matthias
--
Don't Panic