BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] High Repeated Data Transfer Volumes During Incremental Backup

2011-03-31 10:59:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] High Repeated Data Transfer Volumes During Incremental Backup
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:58:09 -0400
nhoeller AT sinet DOT ca wrote at about 09:59:43 -0400 on Thursday, March 31,
2011:
 > I am running backuppc 3.1.0-4 on a plug computer (ARM processor) with the
 > Perl rsync fix for ARM processors.  On March 24, backuppc did an
 > incremental backup that picked up two 350MB files which had been uploaded
 > to my web server. On March,25, backuppc did a full backup and indicated
 > that the files were 'same' - data transfer was its normally low levels.
 > Subsequent incremental backups show no activity for these two files.

Having myself spent a few weeks getting it all working on a plug computer,
did you make sure to correct *both* bugs that I found and posted to
the archive?

Specifically, first there was both an error in Digest::MD5 in Debian Lenny
for arm which required updating to perl 10.1 (I had to install it from
'testing'). This caused the pool file md5sum names to be wrong (though
consistently wrong so if you only use BackupPC on an arm under perl <
10.1, then you won't notice any problems until you either upgrade perl
or move to another architecture).

Second, there was an error in libfile-rsyncp-perl that caused rsync
checksums to be wrong due to an error in how the Adler32 checksum is
calculated on an arm processor. This required me to manually patch and
recompile the library. I believe this error will cause problems even
if you stay just on an ARM processor.